We are always Reading……
June 3, 2020
Dear Children’s Library patrons
The Wauwatosa Public Library Children’s Department strives for continuous literacy support. The following are just a few options to help your child in their literacy engagement:
- 1001 Books Before Kindergarten Exposes your child to important literacy concepts before they begin school
- Books First: Supports literacy through specific story structures or themes
- Reading Passport: Encourages child to discover new interests and genres they might not have found on their own
- Literacy Goal Ideas: Child chooses how they would like to engage in their learning. Literacy engagement may be as pure as reading and reflecting as an individual.
- See the Children’s calendar at wauwatosalibrary.org and www.facebook.com/tosakids for additional literacy activities
Significantly, Wauwatosa Public Library frames reading as intrinsically valuable. Therefore, an extrinsic reward (e.g. prize, coupon, trinket, etc.) in return for reading devalues the reading itself:
- Children are more likely to choose books beyond their level of ability in the absence of rewards
- Rewards control and undermine the love of learning
- Rewards are not solutions; they mask the reason for not wishing to read
- Children’s intrinsic motivation to read diminishes as they receive extrinsic rewards
- Extrinsic rewards are more destructive when the number of prizes is artificially limited
- Rewards simply motivate children to earn more rewards
Please contact us with questions, ideas, or for more information about the research behind rewards.
We strongly feel children should have the chance to read for the joy of reading.
Your Wauwatosa Children’s Librarians
Our Stance on Literacy
We are always reading and we are always learning. Literacy is social and requires practice. As literacy advocates, we support and value reading engagement all year long. We welcome your child’s conversations regarding their reading.